Tuesday, November 8, 2016

A poem about becoming family and being family

The West is Wild
But this trailer is a warm home
Three sisters come together to support, love and embrace the future
A love for a family that lives eternally within our hearts
A love for a place and a moral upbringing that continues to bring us together
Here we gather in the last months, weeks, days of Mom
We should be wrecked with impending grief to come
But all we feel is a love for family, curiosities of life, of God in its entirety
Dad still gets up early to feed the hoard of multigenerational stray cats that live beneath the stairs
Little Sister is still the little sister amongst her two older twin sisters
We are all strong

I am marrying this family in less than a year, yet I love this family now.

*image from: By Cheryl Dudley (Flickr: From Kamiak Butte) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

  1. These words sum it up in a way that makes it all make a bit more sense. It's a beautiful, poetic snapshot. The photo fits perfectly also, did you take it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jake! I wish that I took that picture. I grabbed it off Wikipedia though.

      Delete