You were a great teacher. Always encouraging us to stand up for our beliefs and be hyper-critical of rules that don't seem necessary or right. I remember when we started a petition to try to put a mini bouldering gym in the old teachers lounge/storage closet. At that time in my life, everything seemed reachable. All you have to do is ask for the things you need and command respect from people who are undoubtedly your peers and from people who might not see you as an equal. In that time, it was teachers who looked down upon students. Now, at least for me, it's a government that doesn't seem to represent my values and priorities.
When you were suspended from teaching, we all asked why. Over and over and over, we pleaded to the principal, the vice principal, the athletic director and anyone who would listen to tell us why you were not allowed to lead our rebellious band of teenagers who believed they finally had a voice in their school outside the popularity contest that was "Student Council". We believed that we could be treated as peers, because of your encouragement. We believed that we had a right to change school rules and policies by things like silent protests and petitions. You encouraged us to be creative and create a school for ourselves, beyond what was conventional in a public school. You taught us what it meant to be a citizen of a union.
And now it looks like our country has chosen the candidate that breaks my heart every time he opens his mouth. I can't agree with anything he says or does. I take a deep breath knowing that things are going to be a little crazy for the next four years and, presumably, beyond. But, because of your lessons in government, I have hope and I know that we can still create the nation that we see in our minds and by keeping our values heard and understood. I won't quit because I know what it means to be a citizen of this union, the United States of America. Thanks to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment